Monday, April 28, 2014

Fear part3

There were quite a few fears that had a very close relation to some fears I have. There was Dana''s fear of loosing a loved one, Whitney's fear of failure, and Alex's fear of becoming elderly. Dana's fear left an impression on me because I had lost three loved ones who died two weeks apart of each other last year. My heart was so heavy that I had fallen back into depression. I had to remind myself that what they would want for me is to keep living on and keep them in my memory, and be happy for them as they continue on their new journey in the afterlife. Since I had moved out of my parent's house, I constantly think of my family and check in on them every week to see how they're doing. When I first moved out, I did not talk to anyone back home unless they messaged me or called me. Now I am the one who sends the messages. I am still not much for talking over the phone, because I do not like that moment of silence after a good conversation ends and you cannot come up with another conversation starter and you are wondering if the person on the other line is still on the phone, plus you cannot see the person's face. In short, I prefer face to face conversations or messaging or text to talking on the phone. Alex's fear of becoming old, or more the fear of not being able to take care of yourself and having to rely on others to take care of you, is something I have too. I always thought it was just a fear of getting old then dying, but it actually is a fear of losing the capability to care for myself when I am elderly. I would like to be able to move around like some of the people I have seen who are in their eighties moving like they are in their forties. My aunt used to drive and dance up until her last stroke; she had died two weeks after my other two loved ones last year. She was in her eighties pushing ninety, and was a good driver as well as a good dancer. Every time some one offered to help her with something she knew she could do on her own, she would tell them no and do it herself. Pardon me for sounding like today's young people, but my aunt was boss. Seeing how capable she was at her age gives me hope that I will not be handicapped by age. The volunteers who played the role of the elderly and the caretakers were awesome. Your show of the relation between a caretaker caring for and elderly person was quite entertaining. Whitney's fear of failure I responded to the most because I feel the same way about my art work. My art has to be perfect, and if it is not, then I have failed at it. I do try again and again until I get it right, and when I get it right, I never want to touch it again in fear that I will mess it up. Sometimes if it does not turn out the way I want it, I leave it and never touch it again because I do not like it. The drawing Whitney did was an old pencil portrait piece  that she did not want to mess up. For the Fear assignment, she scribbled and blotched over the it with color, which made the piece even more interesting to look at, amazing even. I have suffered quite a few failures that in the past did made me not want to continue, but pushed through anyway. Seeing Whitney's art piece inspired me to play around with different art mediums more, which I will be doing once I unpack all of my art supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment